Picking an Indoor Waterpark at Ohio's Lake Erie Shores & Islands
January 22, 2018
When the weather outside is frightful, many folks plan an indoor waterpark getaway to take advantage of toasty 80+ degrees indoor temperatures, regardless of weather conditions. But how do you choose the right waterpark resort for your vacation? Allow us to introduce you to the indoor waterpark resorts of Ohio's Lake Erie Shores & Islands in alphabetical order.
Cedar Point’s Castaway Bay
Theme: Caribbean paradise
Family fun: 38,000 sq. ft. indoor waterpark features large wave-action pool, indoor/outdoor hot tub, and water coaster. Waterpark day passes are available for non-hotel guests. Win prizes at the state-of-the-art arcade and participate in daily family-fun activities at Camp Castaway, detailed in the Island Times newsletter available at the front desk.
Food features: Snack bar located within the waterpark; quick-service deli; breakfast buffet restaurant; attached Quaker Steak & Lube full-service restaurant; room service is also available, including pizza.
- Affiliation with Cedar Point – Cedar Point Amusement Park ticket packages are available and as a Cedar Point hotel guest you have access to discount tickets and admission to the park one hour prior to opening to the general public.
- PEANUTS™ characters – Join Snoopy and the PEANUTS™ gang for nightly story time, special family activities (dance party!), movies, and character meet-and-greets.
Great Wolf Lodge
Theme: Northwoods lodge
Family fun: 33,000 sq. ft. indoor waterpark features a lazy river, four-story fort, and giant tipping bucket. Other activities offered include the Cub Club arts and crafts, character appearances, story time and the Great Clock Tower show as well as a prize-winning arcade.
Food features: Snack bar located within the waterpark; take-out pizza, sandwiches, and salads; sweet shop featuring coffee, ice cream, pastries, and homemade fudge; on-site Dunkin’ Donuts open morning and afternoon; full-service Gitchigoomie Grill offers breakfast, lunch, and dinner along with a full-service bar.
- Sweet suites – This all-suite hotel features fabulous themed suites, including the “Wolf Den,” “Kid Cabin,” “Royal Bear,” and loft fireplace suites.
- MagiQuest – Play this fun, interactive game and turn Great Wolf Lodge into your own personal playground. Purchase a magic wand and set off on a quest throughout the resort, where you’ll unlock a world of adventure. Great for family play!
- Scooops Kid Spa – Indulge in some self-care with this sweet retreat that offers ice-cream themed fizzy soaks, sherbet scrubs, and yummy nail colors. Mommy & Me pedicures are their specialty!
Kalahari Resorts & Conventions
Theme: Authentically African
Family fun: 173,000 sq. ft. indoor waterpark features a number of thrilling slides, a water coaster, lazy river, wave pool, special kids' areas, and more! The resort also features an outdoor waterpark in-season, with a five-slide tower! Other fun includes the Safari Outdoor Adventures Park which offers zip-lining, ropes course, rock-climbing wall, and the Safari Adventures Animal Park. Kids’ activities are offered daily, including crafts and character appearances, plus a huge family arcade with indoor glow golf.
Food features: There is truly something for every taste with a variety of onsite dining choices; everything from a quick-service pizza pub, deli, buffet restaurant, full-service dining options, room-service, sweet shop, and several lounges. Now open, guests can enjoy B-Lux Grill & Bar - home of handcrafted burgers and shakes. The new restaurant captures the latest craves through its robust influence of American-style food with fresh ingredients that are locally sourced.
- Authentic African décor/artwork – Don't miss the décor all throughout! The Nelson family has a passion for Africa - beginning with the family's first trip to the continent in the mid-90s, the family continues to regularly visit for inspiration and to purchase authentic items for their resorts, including hand-carved seating and tables, tribal masks and sculpture, hand-woven textiles and more.
- Storm Chaser – The Storm Chaser Slideboarding Adventure integrates gaming, skill, speed, and competitive sports into an experience that will define the waterparks of the future. Storm Chaser features an interactive multi-level game built within a waterslide. It uses a smart gaming system that tracks your progress and scores your run down the waterslide as you hit your targets for points, and unlock new levels.
- Spa Kalahari – Pamper yourself during your getaway with a visit to Spa Kalahari, featuring a Himalayan Salt Halotherapy Room and Kidz Spa & Salon.
- Coming soon!
- Float Tank – Spa Kalahari will be introducing a Float Tank this spring! In water temperatures that match your body’s own internal temperature, you float, suspended in a bath of Epsom salt or magnesium sulfate. Learn how to relax in the deepest sense of the word—weightless, silent, peaceful.
- Bugs Burrow - The mind-bending experience offers kids the chance to imagine what it would be like if they were the size of a bug. The community of Bugs Burrow features a myriad of lovable cartoon insects and critters that welcome Kalahari's smallest guests to splash, play and have fun. This attraction will be coming this summer!
Maui Sands Resort
Theme: Hawaiian village
Family fun: 45,000 sq. ft. indoor water park features a gigantic bowl-shaped tube slide, enclosed tube slide, two body slides, a treehouse with bucket-dump, lazy river, kids' area, and family spa. The resort also has two arcades. Day passes are available; open year-round.
Food features: Volcano Grill is adjacent to the water park and serves sandwiches, pizza, wings, hot dogs, salads, ice cream treats and soft drinks. The Lava Lounge, serving alcoholic beverages, opens after noon.
- Family suites - These large suites offer separate kids and adult sleeping areas and include two sets of bunk beds and a kids' TV (accommodates six)
- Family rooms - These rooms have a queen bed and two sets of bunk beds (accommodates six)
- Molokini rooms - King bed with in-room Jacuzzi (adults only); accommodates two
- Queen Lily room - Two double beds (four people)
Rain Water Park
Theme: Tropical rainforest
Family fun: 3,500 sq. ft. indoor waterpark features periodic rain showers along with a 50-ft tower with two waterslides and a play structure with water activities. The complex also includes a 32-lane state-of-the-art bowling center, an arcade, food, and off-track betting in the exciting atmosphere of Cedar Downs.
Food features: The onsite Thirsty Pony restaurant features juicy burgers and famous Fricker's chicken wings. The bowling center and arcade also offers a snack bar with pizza and gelato.
- Outdoor pool - In the summer, the hotel features an outdoor pool area with lounge chairs and waterfalls.
- Hotel Packages - Rain Water Park is affiliated with both the Quality Inn & Suites where it is located and the adjacent Holiday Inn Express. Hotel packages including waterpark admission and more are available with both properties.
- Lazer Runner – This is the only indoor waterpark resort to offer lazer tag.
With so many great waterpark and accommodations features, it may be hard to choose! One thing is for sure, you'll definitely have a swim-tastic time in Ohio's Lake Erie Shores & Islands. Book your getaway today!
Ohio's Lake Erie Shores & Islands
One of the Midwest hottest vacation spots, the region between Toledo and Cleveland provides an eclectic mix of historically significant sites, family-fun amusements, gorgeous scenery, and outdoor recreation.